What is homeopathy?
Homeopathy is a completely natural method of treatment based on specific laws of treatment.
It aims at the fortification of the human organism by stimulating its defence powers and thus restoring its health.
Which illnesses is it recommended for?
Homeopathic Medicine offers a wide spectrum of treatment, yet it is not to be treated as a panacea for every disease.
Due to their curing action homeopathic medicines can have a positive influence on many illnesses in several systems of the organism, such as:
Finally, homeopathic therapy is very effective with children who suffer from several pathologic conditions, such as:
- Migraines or any type of headaches.
- Allergies (rhinitis, dermatitis, etc).
- Arthritis, rheumatism.
- Pneumonological problems such as bronchial asthma or susceptibility to infections of the respiratory tract.
- Gastrointestinal problems, i.e, gastritis, colitis (spastic or ulcerative) etc.
- Dermatological problems such as acne and eczema, etc.
- Gyneocological problems such as menstrual disfunction, dysmenorrhea, ovary cysts, etc.
- Any type of neurosis related to stress, phobia etc.
- Mood disorders such as depression, etc.
- Sleeping disorders.
- Common infections (i.e of the higher respiratory system: tonsilitis, pharyngitis, otitis), spastic bronchitis, children's asthma.
- Dermatological problems
- Hyperactivity, phobias, behavioural disorders, etc.
Homeopathy is effective with chronic as well as acute diseases.
Which patients can it be practiced on?
It is successfully practised not only on adults but also elderly people and children.
It should be mentioned here that to homeopathy there are no illnesses but ill people.
This derives from the fact that in homeopathy the ill person is treated as an indivisible unity of mind,
body and soul functions, which influence one another.
With Homeopathy it is not only the symptoms that improve but also the whole ill organism,
and therefore it is pointless to ask whether there is a medicine for a certain disease.
Finally, only the attendant homeopath can make a sound treatment prognosis for the total of problems faced by one patient.
Do not hesitate to consult your homeopath on any health problem you may face, and anything concerning the progress of the homeopathic treatment.
Does the effect of Homeopathy depend on auto-suggestion?
This suggestion was made many years ago by people completely ignorant of Homeopathy,
in their attempt to explain the impressive results of homeopathic treatment, and has therefore become obsolete.
However, certain points need to be highlighted on this issue:
- Why is it that only the homeopath can perform auto-suggestion and not other doctors even when they are skilled and highly experienced?
- Why does the patient get better only after he has been administered the indicated and not any other homeopathic medicine?
- The effectiveness that auto-suggestion may have is usually short-term (a few hours, days or weeks) not long-term as it is the case with homeopathic treatment.
- Homeopathy has exceptional results with infants and children at pre-school age, and certainly can claim that they too can be subjected to auto-suggestion.
- Homeopathic veterinary is also widely known in foreign countries and has lately been very successful with animals in Greece, and there is no question of subjecting animals to auto-suggestion.
What are the homeopathic medicines?
They are substances found in nature (of herbal, mineral or, rarely, animal origin).
They are naturally prepared. The process involves successive dilution and mechanical stirring of the initial solution of the medicine.
Their preparation and circulation are officially consolidated by the Greek and European legislation.
How do they take effect?
Homeopathic medicines take effect in the whole organism and fortify its defence mechanism, therefore curing and reviving the patient completely.
Are they dangerous?
No, on no occasion they are dangerous, or have any side-effects.
The reason being that during their preparation they are diluted to such a degree as to eliminate any likelihood of side-effects, activating at the same time their curing action.
This is also the reason for their being completely harmless for all ages (infants, overaged, etc.) and for all special conditions of the organism, i.e pregnancy, nursing, etc.
Do you get addicted to them?
No, because their action is solely of energy not chemical.
Do homeopathic medicines cause any side effects?
During the first days of the treatment, a small number of patients may present one of the common symptoms such as headache,
itch, intensely for a few hours, days or weeks. This is completely harmless for the organism, and it is due to the fact that
the organism is activated in order to confront the disease. Patients should not, however, attribute any symptoms (a running nose
from flu, diarrhoea from food poisoning, pain from a stiff neck etc.) to their homeopathic treatment; they should consult a doctor
if these symptoms persist.
Is it necessary for some symptoms to be intense for the treatment to become effective?
No, most of the times the treatment is carried out without any aggravation in the symptoms.
How should homeopathic medicines be stored?
They should be kept away from strong smells, heat and humidity. Also, they should not be kept in the refrigerator.
How long does the treatment last and what does it depend on?
In an acute disease, the result is immediate. In chronic cases, most of the times it is not possible to have an immediate result,
especially when the patient has resorted to homeopathy after trying all other methods unsuccessfully. Do not ask from your doctor to
predict the duration of the treatment, or assure you that you will be definitely cured. It is impossible for him to answer accurately.
Many times a treatment of several months is required to produce significant results.
Should the patient follow the homeopathic treatment indefinitely?
No. When he feels much better and after consulting his homeopath, he may stop the treatment and return to his homeopath in case
of a relapse of the initial disease or appearance of a new one.
What happens in case a serious problem arises during the treatment?
In case of a serious problem such as cold, diarrhoea, strong headache, conjunctivitis, etc, it would be advisable to
consult your homeopath so as to be given the specific (indicated) corresponding medicine or other course of action.
However, if you cannot contact him at the time you may consult another homeopathic doctor or a conventional one and follow his instructions.
Is there a chance of side effects if another allopathic medicine is received at the same time?
None absolutely. There is no fear of interaction with any conventional (allopathic) medicine. Some times, some
of the common medicines (especially antibiotics, corticosteroids), can temporarily inhibit the homeopathic treatment and therefore,
it is advisable to contact your homeopath before using them.
Is it possible to combine homeopathic treatment with other treatments?
It certainly is. Nevertheless, since each case is different you should consult the attendant homeopath for the necessary instructions.
Can a patient have a relapse after a homeopathic treatment?
After a successful homeopathic treatment it is possible for a patient to relapse. This depends on:
- the fitness and health of the organism
- the type and duration of the disease
- psychological and physical hardships during recuperation
- whether the homeopath's instructions are followed after the end of the treatment.
Instructions for the patient during homeopathic treatment.
While using homeopathic medicines, and for a long period of time after the treatment (1-2 years),
the patient should avoid the following substances as much as possible:
- Camphor, vicks, naphthaline (mothballs).
- Clover-oil (a substance used by dentists in fillings and aponeuroses).
- Coffeine: (any type of coffee, including decoffein and anything containing coffeine).
In addition, it is advisable to avoid the systematic use of antibiotics as well as corticosteroids medicines.
Note: In certain cases it may be suggested by the homeopath to avoid other substances as well.
The reason for suggesting to avoid the above substances is the observation that during the treatment and the period after it these substances
inhibit to a degree (and in some cases completely) the effectiveness of the homeopathic treatment.
Especially for the medicines mentioned earlier, it should be noted that there is no chance of interaction with the homeopathic medicine.
Obviously, when there is need to use them, contact the attendant homeopath for the necessary instructions. If this is not possible,
you should follow the instructions given by the doctor who subscribed them to you, and consult your homeopath later.